Having a boiler service can help to keep it working all year round and be as efficient as possible.
We have answered the most common questions around boiler servicing to help you.
Why do you need a boiler service?
As your boiler gets older it can become less efficient which means it needs to use more fuel to heat your home which will cost you more money. An annual service will ensure all the components are in the best possible condition and deliver a higher level of efficiency for longer.
Don`t put off getting your boiler serviced in the hope of saving yourself a bit of money. In the long run, a boiler service will help keep your energy bills down and also spot a potential fault before it happens, saving you from a boiler breakdown and a hefty repair bill.
Your boiler will usually include a manufacturer’s warranty of between 1 – 15 years which means any faults that develop in that time will be repaired free of charge. However, this warranty is only valid as long as you get the boiler serviced by a Gas Safe engineer every year.
A boiler service gives the engineer the opportunity to identify safety issues such as a carbon monoxide leak. Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas which can quickly cause brain damage and, in some cases, death. If you’re concerned that your boiler may not be working correctly, for example the flame is orange rather than blue, you should get in touch with a Gas Safe engineer even if your annual service is not yet due.
What does a boiler service involve?
There are several key checks we will make when inspecting and servicing your boiler. We’ll check:
- For any signs of corrosion or leaking around the inside and outside of your boiler
- All controls are working safely and effectively
- Whether the gas pressure is too high or low
- All internal parts are clean and safe
- For any toxic emissions (such as carbon monoxide) being released into your home
There may also be key checks specific to the make and model of your boiler which would also be carried out.
When should you have your boiler serviced?
It’s generally recommended that you get your boiler serviced annually – this is the optimum amount of time to leave it so we can catch any potential issues.
- Have it serviced well before winter, this will ensure your boiler is working properly before the cold weather hits and it ramps up its activity.
- Whilst you may not think about your central heating during the warmer summer months, it’s a great time as we are generally less busy.